Access restrictions page hacked?
Melissa Wellington
2020-10-22 17:49:55 UTC
https://news.aioe.org/index.php?id=access-restrictions has been altered
since yesterday. Instead of listing disallowed crossposts and such it
now displays a scary security warning:

"Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to news.aioe.org. The
website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the
wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents
Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers
could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit
card details."

I haven't done anything to mess with my computer clock, and it does
not appear to be displaying the wrong time right now -- certainly it
is not grossly wrong. We do have hour changes here but the next one
is not until sometime in November, so I doubt that can be the cause,
unless it is at your end.

I also have not made any changes to my browser or anything else
relevant since the last visit to the same page, which was perhaps
27 hours ago. At that time it was normal.

It looks an awful lot like you got hacked, or at least something is
screwed up at your end.
Ralph Fox
2020-10-22 18:06:41 UTC
Subject: Access restrictions page hacked?
Not hacked at all. The SSL certificate has just expired.
https://news.aioe.org/index.php?id=access-restrictions has been altered
since yesterday. Instead of listing disallowed crossposts and such it
"Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead
Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to news.aioe.org. The
website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the
wrong time.
It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents
Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers
could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit
card details."
Firefox also says "View certificate".

If you click on "View certificate" and select the "Details" tab,
the "Valid to" line will tell you that the SSL certificate
expired a few hours ago.

HTTPS encryption is protected by a SSL/TLS certificate, and
all SSL/TLS certificates have an expiry date. This one's
expiry date has just passed.
I haven't done anything to mess with my computer clock, and it does
not appear to be displaying the wrong time right now -- certainly it
is not grossly wrong. We do have hour changes here but the next one
is not until sometime in November, so I doubt that can be the cause,
unless it is at your end.
I also have not made any changes to my browser or anything else
relevant since the last visit to the same page, which was perhaps
27 hours ago. At that time it was normal.
It looks an awful lot like you got hacked, or at least something is
screwed up at your end.
The webmaster just needs to get a new SSL/TLS certificate and install it.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Aioe
2020-10-22 20:11:09 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Not hacked at all. The SSL certificate has just expired.
letsencrypt is a bad service, inn2 is obsolete

i've renewd ssl certificates by hands now
i apologize for that error
noel
2020-10-31 15:23:20 UTC
Post by Aioe
Post by Ralph Fox
Not hacked at all. The SSL certificate has just expired.
letsencrypt is a bad service, inn2 is obsolete
i've renewd ssl certificates by hands now i apologize for that error
LE is ok, yes its a PITA having 3 months, but no problems renewing.

I use acme.sh it never fails

certbot never works and always fails, it is a useless piece of shit. yse
acne.sh instead and your problems all go away