banlist
Dave W
2020-02-19 01:12:19 UTC
Sometimes recently I have not been able to post to usenet, and get an
error indicating I'm on a banlist.

My broadband provider is BT (UK) and my IP address is variable and
shared. I am sure many other people share the same IP, and their
activities are giving this IP address a bad name.

Will aioe consider assessing individual users and not IP addresses?
Dave W
😉 Good Guy 😉
2020-02-19 01:20:47 UTC
Post by Dave W
Sometimes recently I have not been able to post to usenet, and get an
error indicating I'm on a banlist.
My broadband provider is BT (UK) and my IP address is variable and
shared. I am sure many other people share the same IP, and their
activities are giving this IP address a bad name.
Will aioe consider assessing individual users and not IP addresses?
check your IP address here:

<https://news.aioe.org/stats/banned-ips/>

To me you sound like a known nym-shifter who is spamming and
cross-posting to useless newsgroups so you are getting what you deserve!!.

:-) :-) :-) :-)
Newsgroups: aioe.news.helpdesk
Subject: banlist
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 01:12:19 +0000
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 01:20:47 +0000, ? Good Guy ?
Post by 😉 Good Guy 😉
Post by Dave W
Sometimes recently I have not been able to post to usenet, and get an
error indicating I'm on a banlist.
My broadband provider is BT (UK) and my IP address is variable and
shared. I am sure many other people share the same IP, and their
activities are giving this IP address a bad name.
Will aioe consider assessing individual users and not IP addresses?
<https://news.aioe.org/stats/banned-ips/>
To me you sound like a known nym-shifter who is spamming and
cross-posting to useless newsgroups so you are getting what you deserve!!.
In other words I'm guilty until proved innocent. Thanks for the link
but I'm not on the list.
Dave W
Paul
2020-02-19 02:28:42 UTC
Post by Dave W
Sometimes recently I have not been able to post to usenet, and get an
error indicating I'm on a banlist.
My broadband provider is BT (UK) and my IP address is variable and
shared. I am sure many other people share the same IP, and their
activities are giving this IP address a bad name.
Will aioe consider assessing individual users and not IP addresses?
The "banlist" message is frequently an indicator that
a certain group on the AIOE server is "read-only".

To stop abuse from serial abusers, sometimes the administrator
has to stop allowing posting by AIOE users to certain groups.
Examples might be rec.arts.tv or COLA.

You can check this page, and see if you were
attempting to post to a group on this list.

https://news.aioe.org/documentation/access-restrictions/

uk.tech.digital.tv

I'm sure there's some way to block individual people,
but the error message, you'd hope the wording would be
different.

A lot of people take the "banlist" word personally, as if
they're being singled out, when they're not. Try posting
a test message to alt.test on AIOE and see if that works better.

Paul
Dave W
2020-02-20 00:22:45 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Dave W
[...]
That's interesting - uk.tech.digital.tv is the group I was trying to
post to. It looks like everybody is banned because the latest post is
about 35 hours ago. The reason given is uk abuse.

They must have deleted the abusive posts, of which there were many.
Perhaps the group will get re-enabled in due course. Nothing to do
with my IP address that I implied in my post to this helpdesk group.
Dave W
Dave W
2020-02-20 11:14:38 UTC
Post by Dave W
Post by Paul
Post by Dave W
[...]
I've now changed from aioe to Eternal September.
Dave W
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-09 17:16:58 UTC
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 00:22:45 +0000
Post by Dave W
Post by Paul
Post by Dave W
[...]
I've also wanted to post to that group recently. Anyone know if the ban
was implemented by aioe or a newsgroup moderator?
Paul
2020-03-09 18:18:59 UTC
Post by Dave W
Post by Paul
Post by Dave W
[...]
AIOE is a server that does not use conventional account:password protection.

To manage abuse of a totally open server, requires a rule-set
be implemented.

In this case, posting to uk.tech.digital.tv is blocked by the
AIOE administrator, so that some person or persons abusing that
newsgroup via posting through AIOE, can be stopped.

The group will be re-enabled, when sufficient time has passed.
A random interval.

Remember that rec.arts.tv is a favored target of abuse, and
it should come as no surprise that a similar group,
would suffer a similar fate. The extension ".tv" seems to
trigger some tiny portion of the population.

If you check the status page, you can see the group is still blocked.
You can read the group via AIOE, but you can't post to it via AIOE.
And the group is blocked to everyone using AIOE, it's not Boltar
which is blocked. Anyone wanting to post to uk.tech.digital.tv via
AIOE at the moment, the post attempt will fail with a "banlist"
error, because the group is "banned to posting". The group is read-only.

https://news.aioe.org/documentation/access-restrictions/

You can get an account:password on any other free server, and
post to uk.tech.digital.tv , your post will show up. It will
show up even on AIOE. However, if you were to post some sort
of abuse to uk.tech.digital.tv via that other server, you could
lose your account:password on that "any other free server".
This is why the abusers won't use other servers for this
purpose, as they'll lose their account. And when applying
for a new account, the administrator on these other servers
will carefully inspect where they are coming from and so on.
When you apply for an account on an account-protected server,
the administrator doesn't always approve it if they suspect
you're a serial abuser.

Paul
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-10 11:12:25 UTC
On Mon, 09 Mar 2020 14:18:59 -0400
Post by Paul
[...]
Thanks, I've been using usenet since 1991, I don't require an explanation of
how it works. I simply didn't know who implemented the ban.